- Serves: 4 People
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking: 60 min
- Calories: 720
- Difficulty: medium
Mutton Rogan josh is a world-famous Indian delicacy which is native to Kashmir. This signature Kashmiri non-vegetarian recipe makes your meal even more special with exceptional flavours to relish.
- Sauté the whole spices in ghee and prepare saffron milk: To prepare this delicacy, first, prepare the saffron milk by soaking saffron in milk. Next, put a pressure cooker and heat ghee in it. When the ghee is hot enough, add the whole spices and fry for a few seconds.
- Cook mutton with the whole spices: Add whole RUCHI red chillies, RUCHI cumin seeds and asafoetida in the pressure cooker and fry for a few seconds. Afterwards, add the mutton pieces in it and stir well. Cover with the lid but don’t close it and cook the mutton for 5-6 minutes on medium to high flame. You will notice the meat will turn light brown in colour. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and add 1/2 cup of water in it and stir well with the spices. This will help the mutton in soaking the flavours of all the spices. Then, lower the flame and cook the mutton for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix yoghurt with saffron milk and other spices: Meanwhile, take a small bowl and add all-purpose flour along with yoghurt in it, mix well. In this yoghurt mixture, add saffron milk (step 1), salt, fennel powder, RUCHI meat masala, RUCHI coriander powder, RUCHI red chilli powder and dry ginger powder (sonth powder). Mix all the spices well in the yoghurt. Once done, add into the pressure cooker. Stir well using a ladle and cook the mutton in yoghurt for at least a minute.
- Add this yoghurt mixture in pressure cooker and slow cook the mutton for 1-2 hours: Add 1 cup of water in the pressure cooker and slow cook the mutton for 1-2 hours. Stir in between so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom. You can also pressure cook the mutton for 5-6 whistles.
- Mutton Rogan Josh is ready. Serve it hot RUCHI Traditional Pure Basmati Rice